Determining the Appropriate Type of Rock Climbing Trip for You
Things you need to consider include:
- Know what is available as far as open climbing sites in the area.
To view closures check here:
www.CarolinaClimbers.org - If you check individual locations this site will usually give you a good indication of closures and other good information. It is updated regulary.
- Know what the Focus of the Trip is (social, recreational, training, competition, spiritual).
- Consider the size of your party and how that might affect or impact other rock climbers in the area.
- Consider the fitness level and experience level of your partner(s)
- You should ask yourself, "Am I top-roping, lead climbing, single-pitch v.s. multi-pitch, etc?"
- Consider the approach and how far it is (time frame, proximity, slope, trail difficulty)
- Make sure you have the appropriate gear for the area you wish to climb.
- Know the overall range of ratings at a certain climbing site.