Mountain Biking in Asheville and Western North Carolina
Mountain biking is a sport more and more people have come to enjoy in recent years. Anyone in need of a workout and a good time? Aren't we all? Well, grab a bike and go ride! Whether you live here, or are visiting Asheville, you couldn't find a better place to enjoy the sport. The mountains around Asheville offer a variety of terrain for mountain bikers to tackle, from easy paved and gravel roads to challenging, technical single-track trails that plummet 2000' off rocky mountainsides.
And of course, there is no lack of Southern Appalachian scenery to enjoy while you ride - cascading waterfalls, fern-lined trails, scenic views, and fall colors abound. Mountain biking is a great way to experience more of the outdoors than you can while hiking. You can cover more terrain in less time, and have fun while doing it! The Asheville area has often been cited as a "Mecca" for mountain biking. Numerous trails, combined with easy access to a large portion of the country's population, make it a popular and well-known spot to ride.
What's New - New Articles, Content and Blogs About Mountain Biking
- The Adventure Center of Asheville offers Discount for Locals in Jan... by Sarah Dickson
- French Broad River Fishing Report - July 9 2014 by Chris Manderson
- French Broad River Fishing Report - May 28 2014 by Chris Manderson
- French Broad River Fishing Report - April 9 2014 by Chris Manderson
- French Broad River Fishing Report - March 11 2014 by Chris Manderson
- French Broad River Fishing Report - January 8 2014 by Chris Manderson
- French Broad River Fishing Report - October 9 2013 by Chris Manderson
- Top 6 Fall Vacation Ideas for Asheville by Daniel Cropper
- Zipline or Adventure Park - Which one is for You? by Daniel Cropper
- French Broad River Fishing Report - July 31 2013 by Chris Manderson
- Natural Body Care Products by Denise Kampouris
- Can't find housing in Buncombe County by Angela Menius
- Asheville Screen Printing's Open House - Free Drinks, Live Printing... by Asheville Screen Printing
- Asheville 1960s Band Recordings Saved & Re-Mastered for Up-Comi... by Dan Lewis
- Sacred Fashion Anna Gordon Chooses Blue Lace For Asheville Fashion ... by Kelly Calhoun
- Funny Business at The Millroom Presents Aaron Kleiber by Michael Yoder
- The story of how an Old Boat Shed, and some Old Friends helped Insp... by Constance Vlahoulis
- CranioSacral Therapy & Therapeutic MassageTestimonials by Rowan Farrell-Trombetta
- How to Downsize from Living in a Big House to Living in a Small Apa... by Asheville Now
- The Many Benefits of Pre-Natal Massage by Tom Dunn
As extreme outdoor sports go, Mountain Biking is fairly safe and easy at the beginners level. However, there are a few riding tips and safety concerns that all riders should be aware of.
Visit our Riding and Safety Tips page for more.
Where to Ride
So you have your bike, helmet, a pack full of tools and energy bars, and a sunny day. Where to go ride? Here are some places to investigate. Unless it is a loop, distances are listed as one-way, so remember to double them if you ride the trail out-and-back!
Local Cycling Clubs
Blue Ridge Bicycle Club, BRBC works to promote bicycling (mountain and road)in the Asheville and Western NC area. They hold group rides as well as trail maintenance sessions in Pisgah and the Dupont State Forest.
Pisgah Area SORBA, (Southeastern Off-road Bicycle Association) has recently approved the formation of the Pisgah chapter. Check out this great group for group rides, trail work, and advocacy.
Whether you need a new bike, a tune-up, or just some advice on any aspect of cycling, you might want to check out one of Asheville's great local bike shops.
81 Coxe Avenue. Asheville, NC 28801
Hearn's Cycling and Fitness
34 Broadway St. Asheville, NC 28801
1378 Hendersonville Rd. Asheville, NC 28803
Ski Country Sports
1000 Merrimon Ave. Asheville, NC 28804
610 Haywood Rd # B. Asheville, NC 28806
415 Haywood Rd # A. Asheville, NC 28806
Pisgah Mountain Bike Adventures
450 Windswept Dr. Asheville, NC 28801
Carolina Fatz Cycling Center
1240 Brevard Rd. Asheville, NC 28806
108 Black Mountain Ave. Black Mountain, NC 28711
233 Merrimon Ave, Asheville, NC 28801
REI - Asheville
31 Schenck Parkway. Asheville, NC 28803
Be sure to check the weather before you ride, and know what to expect while you're out there. Here are some resources you may find useful while planning your ride.
Asheville Cycling, great local site w/events, maps, discussion boards, and more
MTB WNC, for trail info, directions, maps, and photos of mountain biking in WNC
International Mountain Bicycling Association (IMBA), provides trail advocacy, trail building schools, and various other services to mountain bikers across the US and beyond.
Rays Weather Center, provides local forecasts, graphics, and area web cameras.
High Country Webcams, what's the weather like outside right now?
Check out these handy area webcams to find out!
About the Author
Jordan Mitchell is an Asheville native who has been biking Asheville's trails as long as he can remember. Soon after he started mountain biking, he decided that there wasn't enough information about the area's trails on the Internet, so he launched mtbikewnc.com with trip reports, trail observations and photography which grew vastly over the years. Currently attending A-B Tech College perusing a degree in Web Design, Jordan lives in Asheville with his wife, Tasha, and spends as much time as possible hiking, mountain biking, and photographing the southern Appalachian Mountains.
Uptake.com >> Asheville Lodging