Tips for the Rock Collector - Gem Mining Dos and Dont's
- Be sure to obtain permission from the landowner, or pay the fee at the mine. This prevents trouble and keeps the sites open for all of us to enjoy.
- Back fill any holes you dig to prevent injuries to people or livestock.
- Use the proper safety gear. When splitting rocks, gloves and safety goggles are a must. Many non-commercial sites are overgrown, so be sure to wear pants, boots, and long sleeves.
- Remember to pack plenty of sunblock, food, and water, for the elements can be especially harsh.
- Do not collect in protected areas, or closed sites. Do not collect on the Blue Ridge Parkway.
- Be on the lookout for bees and snakes in wild areas, and carry a first aid kit and plenty of water.
- Do not disturb protected wildlife and plant species.