Traditional Health Care in Asheville and Western North Carolina
This mountain region is blessed with a plethora of excellent traditional health care services. Asheville and Buncombe County contain a variety of hospitals and physicians from nearly every area of expertise. This makes the area the medical referral center for the state's western counties. There are more that 500 physicians and more than 100 dentists in the area, and that number grows by the year. Newcomers and locals alike can appreciate and rely upon the sophistication of the region's medical community, which is improving even further thanks to the ACA legislation.
With such medical representation and strength, health care jobs are hot in this city. A wide variety of opportunities exist for the health care professional.
What's New - New Articles, Content and Blogs About Health Care
- Man to Man by Edrianna Stilwell
- Breast Cancer Survivors and Friends/ I Can Cope Cancer Support Group by Park Ridge
- Adults with ADD Lose Over 3 Weeks of Work Annually by Rudy Rodriguez
- ADD at Work: Maximizing Your Effectiveness by Rudy Rodriguez
- Living with ADD/ADHD - Free ADD/ADHD Educational Seminar on Decembe... by Rudy Rodriguez
- Autism News Update #1 by Sylvia van Meerten
- Nutrition and Autism by Sudeshna Dasgupta-O'Brien by Sudeshna Dasgupta-O'Brien
- How You Look At Life Makes The Difference by Debi Drecksler
- Can't find housing in Buncombe County by Angela Menius
- CranioSacral Therapy & Therapeutic MassageTestimonials by Rowan Farrell-Trombetta
- How to Downsize from Living in a Big House to Living in a Small Apa... by Asheville Now
- The Many Benefits of Pre-Natal Massage by Tom Dunn
- Should I Build or Buy My Home in Asheville? by Daniel Cropper
- Finding The Best Asheville Building Contractors by Daniel Cropper
- Asheville Custom Modular Homes Save Time, Money and the Environment by Daniel Cropper
- Chyten announces summer ACT and SAT by Brian Caskey
- Chyten's Spring and Summer reading list, for parents of college-bou... by Brian Caskey
- Transcendental Meditation: The new prescription for your health? by Tom Ball
- Natural Body Care Products by Denise Kampouris
- Asheville Screen Printing's Open House - Free Drinks, Live Printing... by Asheville Screen Printing
- Asheville 1960s Band Recordings Saved & Re-Mastered for Up-Comi... by Dan Lewis
- Sacred Fashion Anna Gordon Chooses Blue Lace For Asheville Fashion ... by Kelly Calhoun
- Funny Business at The Millroom Presents Aaron Kleiber by Michael Yoder
- The story of how an Old Boat Shed, and some Old Friends helped Insp... by Constance Vlahoulis
- The Adventure Center of Asheville offers Discount for Locals in Jan... by Sarah Dickson
- Internet Privacy Is An Oxymoron: Best-Selling Tech Thriller Author ... by Donald Allen
- Daily Show Correspondent Wyatt Cenac Live in Asheville by Michael Yoder
- Charge of the Goddess Dance cycle Returns by Asheville Playback The...
Asheville Area Physicians and Doctors Directory
Major Health Care Centers of Western North Carolina
Mission Hospitals is the regional referral center for Western North Carolina and the adjoining region, with 716 staffed beds. It is JCAHO accredited, not-for-profit, and an independent community hospital system based in Asheville. In 1999, Asheville's two private acute care hospitals, St. Joseph and Memorial Mission Medical Center, merged to create Mission Hospitals.
- Mission Hospitals is the only state-designated Level II Trauma Center in WNC.
- Mission Hospitals has been treating children for over 120 years.
- Mission Hospitals is considered one of America's best orthopedic centers, according to US News and World Report, July 2006.
- Mission Hospitals is also actively involved as major participant in ACGME-accredited specialty and subspecialty programs, as well as being an intern teaching facility.
Centers of Specialty include the following:
- Adult Medicine
- Fullerton Genetics Center
- Mission Children's Hospital
- Women's Health Center
- Heart Program
- Vascular Center
- Surgical Services
- Cancer Services
- Psychiatry and Behavioral Medicine
- Emergency and Trauma Services
- Specialized Services
Important Mission Numbers can be found at:
509 Biltmore Avenue
Asheville, North Carolina 28801
VA Medical Center
The Asheville VA Medical Center is a tertiary care, 112-bed acute care facility located in western North Carolina. Asheville operates a separate 120-bed Extended Care and Rehabilitation Center, serving the western North Carolina area and portions of South Carolina, Tennessee, and Georgia. These services are available for eligible veterans.
- The Center's services include extended care rehabilitation, psychogeriatric care, and general nursing home care.
- Comprehensive health care is provided through the spectrum of primary care, tertiary care, and long-term care in areas of medicine, surgery, psychiatry, physical medicine and rehabilitation, neurology, oncology, dentistry, and geriatrics.
- Asheville is a teaching hospital, providing a full range of patient care services, with state-of-the-art technology and programs in education and research. Special programs include a Home Based Primary Care (HBPC) program, and a Substance Abuse Residential Rehabilitation Treatment Program (SARRTP). The medical center is located within the VA Mid-Atlantic Health Care Network (VISN 6).
1100 Tunnel Road
Asheville, NC 28805
Phone: 828-298-7911 or (800) 932-6408
CarePartners Health Services
The CarePartners Health Services team of healthcare experts includes some of Western North Carolina's most respected healthcare providers: CarePartners Rehabilitation Hospital and CarePartners Outpatient Services (formerly known as Thoms Rehabilitation Hospital and Health Services), Home Health (formerly known as Visiting Health Professionals Home Health), Private Duty Services (formerly known as At Home Services), Hospice and Palliative Care (formerly known as (Mountain Area Hospice), and Adult Day (formerly known as MountainCARE Adult Day Services).
Our expert staff in these areas works to provide the community with a full continuum of post-acute services from birth to the end of life. Services are delivered in hundreds of patient homes and in satellite clinics throughout Buncombe County and the region. CarePartners provides clinical expertise through our program lines specializing in Orthopaedics, Neurosciences and Cardiac/Pulmonary care.
- Rehabilitation Hospital
- Outpatient Rehabilitation
- Home Health
- Hospice and Palliative Care
- Adult Day and Personal Care
CarePartners helps thousands of people live full and productive lives, despite illness, disability or the problems of aging. Their home office, and those of all the founding partners, are located at 68 Sweeten Creek Road in Asheville. Their services are also delivered in patient homes, satellite facilities, and various other locales throughout WNC.
The Asheville-Mountain Area Chapter of the American Red Cross was originally chartered on April 11, 1917. The Chapter provides Red Cross services in Buncombe, Cherokee, Clay, Graham, Jackson, Macon, Madison, Mitchell, Swain and Yancey counties and the Qualla Boundary. Services include the blood donor collection and distribution center that serves the needs of 20 hospitals in the area, and the health and safety classes that are taught on a weekly basis.
100 Edgewood Road
Asheville, NC 28804
Phone: 828-258-3888 or (800) 728-9817
474 West Main Street
Sylva, NC 28779
Park Ridge Health
Park Ridge Health has been providing state-of-the-art medical care to the community since 1910. Nestled at the foot of the Great Smoky Mountains in western North Carolina, Park Ridge Health is a place where you will find advanced technology seamlessly woven with a warm, compassionate setting. Park Ridge Hospital is a member of Adventist Health System, the largest not-for-profit Protestant health care organization in the United States, serving more than four million patients annually. AHS owns and manages approximately 37 hospitals in ten states totaling over 6,200 beds.
Review by the Joint Commission for the Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO) is the yardstick by which hospitals across the country are measured. Park Ridge Health is fully accredited with JCAHO as well as the American Osteopathic Association (AOA).
Their board certified physicians, highly skilled nurses and staff remain committed to providing compassionate community care that treats the whole patient…body, mind and spirit.
Sisters of Mercy Urgent Care
The Institute of the Sisters of Mercy is an international community of Roman Catholic women vowed to serve the poor, sick and uneducated. Animated by their foundress, Catherine McAuley, the sisters are called to walk in solidarity with persons who are poor and suffering, especially women and children; to analyze the root causes of their needs; and to work to transform unjust systems. In Asheville there are three centers all of which are neighborhood medical centers designed for people who need immediate medical attention but whose illness or injury is not life threatening. Healthcare services are also provided for area businesses and industries.
Asheville, NC 28803
Asheville, NC 28806
Weaverville, NC 28787
One of the largest home health care providers nationwide, Bayada Nurses offers a full range of home care services, from skilled nursing and personal care to rehabilitation and therapies, for pediatric, adult, and geriatric clients. They help people have a safe home life with comfort, independence and dignity, despite illness or disability. They service Buncombe, Haywood, Madison, McDowell, and Yancey counties. Their staff is comprised of experienced CNAs, LPNs and RNs that have been screened, bonded and insured. Furthermore, they are JCAHO accredited and offer free insurance processing.
141 Asheland Avenue, Suite 201
Asheville, NC 28801
Phone: 828-681-5100 or (866) 431-4376
Buncombe County Health Dept.
The Buncombe County Health Center is an integral part of the quality health care system in Buncombe County, and provides core public health services and innovative health care solutions.
Across the state, a network of essential services known as Public Health, works together to protect and improve the health of all citizens and to make our communities a safe and healthy place to live. The Health Center is a vital part of this important network.
35 Woodfin St.
Asheville, NC 28801
Pardee is a not-for profit community hospital founded in 1953. Pardee Hospital is licensed for 222 acute care beds. In addition to the hospital, Pardee has a 130-bed nursing facility, an adult day care center, home health services, a health education center, a rehab and sports therapy complex, a women's health center, an urgent care facility and several family and internal medicine practices. Pardee is noted for its outreach in the community through our wellness and prevention services, as well as high-tech diagnostic and treatment capabilities. Pardee is fully accredited by the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO).
New for Pardee Hospital is the addition of a breast center, a medical detoxification center and an expanded rehab and wellness center which includes cardiopulmonary rehab, diabetes education, wellness, physical therapy, occupational therapy and speech therapy under one roof.
HealthGrades ranked Pardee in the top 5% of hospitals in the nation for clinical excellence for 2006. This ranking represents data from 2002 - 2004. HealthGrades evaluates more than 5000 US hospitals.
HealthGrades awarded Pardee a 5 star rating for the following specialties.
- Stroke Treatment
- Pulmonary Care
- Joint Replacement Surgery
- Treatment of Gastrointestinal Bleed
- Heart Failure Treatment
- Treatment of Sepsis
800 North Justice Street
Hendersonville, NC 28791
Haywood Regional Medical Center
262 Leroy George Dr
Clyde, NC 28721
Phone: 828-456-7311 or 800-834-1729
Useful Medical Resources
These resources can assist in your search for information on our fine local health care system.American Hospital Directory: statistics, accreditations
Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations
The American College of Surgeons (ACS) Commission on Cancer (CoC) Approvals Program.
Asheville Alcohol and Drug Rehab Listings