AB Tech Asheville NC
Asheville Buncombe Technical Community College
The Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College commonly referred to as A-B Tech, established in 1959, has the largest total headcount enrollment of any institution in Western North Carolina, serving nearly 26,000 students in 2006-07. The main campus, with over 144 acres, consists of 22 buildings and is conveniently located 8 minutes south of downtown Asheville. AB Tech confers Associate Degrees in Arts, Science, Fine Arts, Biotechnology and General Occupational Technology. A comprehensive agreement between the University of North Carolina system and the North Carolina Community College System allows A-B Tech students to transfer into one of the 16 University of North Carolina colleges. AB Tech offers classroom, online, and hybrid courses.
AB Tech Courses of Study
- Health – Nursing, Dental Hygiene, Emergency Medical Science, Medical Laboratory Technology, Medical Sonography, Radiography, Surgical Technology and Veterinary Medical Technology.
- Public Service – Criminal Justice Technology, Fire Protection Technology, and Human Services Technology / Social Services.
- Business – Accounting, Business Administration, Computer Information Technology, Digital Media Technology, Entrepreneurship, Human Resources Management, Information Systems Security, Marketing and Retailing, Networking Technology, Office Systems Technology, and Web Technologies.
- Hospitality - Baking and Pastry Arts, Cosmetology, Culinary Technology, Hotel and Restaurant Management, Resort and Spa Management and Therapeutic Massage.
- Engineering and Applied Technology – Automotive Systems, Civil Engineering, Computer-Aided Drafting, Computer Engineering, Construction Management, Electrical/Electronics, Heavy Equipment and Transport, Industrial Systems, Machining, Mechanical Engineering, Surveying and Welding.
- Arts and Sciences – the general education program, which offers Associates Degrees in Arts, Science and Fine Arts, provides students with a knowledge base of historical, societal and environmental contexts for succeeding in the changing global community. Entrepreneurship is a new curriculum program, sponsored by Governor Mike Easley as part of a statewide initiative, culminates in a two-year degree.
AB Tech Campuses
Asheville campus – the main campus is located at 340 Victoria Street
340 Victoria Rd
Asheville, NC 28801
Enka campus – located 7 miles southwest of the main campus, at 1499 Sand Hill Road in Candler.
1459 Sand Hill Rd
Candler, NC 28715
Asheville Mall – as the name implies, the campus is right in the Asheville Mall at 3 South Tunnel Road.
3 South Tunnel Rd
Asheville, NC 28805
Madison site – Fifteen miles north of downtown Asheville, in Marshall, NC, in Madison County, the campus is at 4646 U.S. Highway 25
4646 US 25-70
Marshall, NC 28753
In the spirit of lifelong learning, AB Tech offers comprehensive continuing education classes. Courses may carry Continuing Education Unit (CEU) credit. For some classes, North Carolina residents age 65 or older are exempt from registration fees. Here’s a sampling of the diversity of continuing education courses that are available:
- Computing Training
- Computer Certification – Prep Programs
- Human Resources Development
- Occupational Training
- Nursing Assistant
- Emergency Medical Services
- Basic law Enforcement Training
- GED Prep
- English as a Second Language
- Entrepreneurial Ventures and Business Incubator
AB Tech Links
- Home Page
- Listing of Academic Programs
- Class Schedules
- Continuing Education
- Employment Opportunities