Asheville Tourists Baseball
The Asheville Tourists baseball team, which was founded in Asheville, NC in 1915, is a Class A minor league team which plays its home games in McCormick Field, located in Downtown Asheville. The tourists have been a member of the 16 team South Atlantic League, aka the Sally League or the SAL, since 1980 and an affiliate of the National League’s Colorado Rockies since 1994, which is the longest standing affiliation in the SAL. As of 2008 the tourists are managed by Joe Mikulik, who has been with the team since 2000.
The Asheville Tourists are owned by Palace Sports and Entertainment (PS&E), a sports and entertainment company located in Auburn Hills, Michigan. Aside from the Tourists, PS&E also owns owners of the following sports franchises: the Tampa Bay Lightning of the NHL, the Detroit Pistons of the NBA, the Detroit Shock of the WNBA, the Detroit Fury of the AFL, and the Tampa Bay Storm of the AFL. PS&E also owns the Palace of Auburn Hills, the St. Pete Times Forum, the DTE Energy Music Theatre and the Meadow Brook Music Festival.
The Asheville Tourists play their home games at McCormick Field, which is located on the Southeast side of Downtown Asheville. McCormick Field was constructed in 1924 and named for notable Asheville resident Dr. Lewis M. McCormick. Dr. McCormick was a well respected Asheville bacteriologist, who is credited with raising awareness about the health risks of the house fly. The “Swat That Fly” proposal, spearheaded by Dr. McCormick in Asheville was highly successful and the positive health benefits of this initiative were partially responsible for Asheville’s national reputation of being a healthy place to live and visit.
Since its construction McCormick Field has remained true to its original design with the exception of minor renovations in 1959 and 1992. The capacity of the park is 4000 guests. The outfield measurements for McCormick Field are 326 to Left, 370 to Left-Center, 373 to Center, 320 to Right-Center and 297 to Right field.
McCormick Field Contact Information
30 Buchanan Place
Asheville, NC 28801
Phone: (828) 258-0428
Fax: (828) 258-0320
Box Office Hours
Monday through Friday 8:30 AM to 5:30 PM
Saturday Game Days open at 12 PM
Sunday Game Days open at 10 AM
Purchase tickets online at www.ticketmaster.com by entering "Asheville Tourists" in the keyword field.
All children ages three years and older must purchase a ticket for entry into McCormick Field. Infants and children two years of age and under will be admitted free so long as they can sit comfortably in a parent's lap.
Game Day Gate Times
The main gate opens 90 minutes prior to each Asheville Tourists home game for season ticket holders and 60 minutes prior to each home game for all remaining guests.
Radio and Internet Broadcasts
You can catch all the exciting Asheville Tourists baseball action on 100.7 FM "The Urban Sounds of Asheville." Each live broadcast begins 15 minutes prior to the listed start time with "Tourists Talk", the official Asheville Tourists pre-game show. Now you can follow the Tourists all year long on the radio at 100.7 FM or on the web at www.theashevilletourists.com
McCormick Field Amenities
- The Field access and all restrooms are ADA accessible.
- An ATM is available and located near the main gate, next to the merchandise store.
- Still and Video cameras are allowed, however tripods are prohibited.
- Cell phones are permitted, as long as their use does not interfere with other guests’ enjoyment of the game.
- Baby changing stations are available in both the men’s and woman’s restrooms.
- Centerplate provides concession service for all events hosted at McCormick Field. Call Brian Candler at (828) 258-0428 for more information.
- A special concession stand is available for season ticket holders.
- Mission Hospital EMTs are on site in the unlikely event of an emergency.
- Lost and found items will be held at the AT&T Real Yellow Pages Guest Services kiosk for 30 days. Call the front office at (828)258-0428 during business hours (8:30 am to 5:30 pm) for additional help recovering a lost item.
- If you get separated from your group, please visit the Bellsouth Guest Services kiosk for assistance.
Rules and Limitations
- Re-entry is prohibited. In case of emergency visit the AT&T Real Yellow Pages Guest Services kiosk for a re-entry hand stamp.
- Pets are not permitted, however service animals are welcome.
- Bags and backpacks are prohibited, except for women’s purses and diaper bars, which are subject to search upon entry.
- No alcoholic beverages may be brought into or removed from McCormick Field. You must be 21 to purchase an alcoholic beverage. There is a limit of one alcoholic beverage per person per purchase.
- No outside bottles, cans, coolers, food or beverages may be brought into McCormick Field. Exceptions will be made for those with specific medical needs or for items needed for infants and small children.
- Only authorized personnel are permitted on the field before, during and after the games.
- Smoking is not permitted within the seating area at McCormick Field. Designated smoking areas are set up on the concourse area.
- Rain check tickets are available at the McCormick Field Box Office games the meet the following rain check policy. Any official game that is cancelled before the completion of 4.5 innings if the home team is leading, or 5 innings if the game is tied or of the visiting team is leading is subject to rain check. Exchanges are valid for tickets of equal value to any future non-restricted home game.
Asheville Tourists in the Major Leagues
The Asheville Tourists baseball organization is currently in the process of researching the actual number of former Asheville players who have made it all the way to the big leagues in the over 90 years that minor league baseball has been played in Asheville. The complete list is still being created, however the estimates are staggering, with many expecting the final tally to exceed 500. A short list of recent ML Players includes: Todd Helton, Jake Westbrook, Shawn Chacon, Jason Jennings, Juan Uribe, and Brad.