The Mast perform their debut piece Figure Eights at The Magnetic Field on March 27th: Songs, Electronic Soundscapes & Monologues
'Figure Eights' explores one woman's quest to steer the cavalry of her own imagination through songs, electronic soundscapes & monologues
The Mast perform their debut piece "Figure Eights"
Magnetic Field Theater
Sunday, March 27, 2011
372 Depot St., Suite 50
Asheville, NC 28801
Tickets available: www.eventbrite.com/event/1392327489
"Haale's warm, supple voice unfurled like a curlicue of smoke."-The New York Times
"Brilliantly produced rhythms."- Popmatters
The Mast is the latest project by the Brooklyn-based vocalist/poet Haale and percussionist/producer Matt Kilmer. Described as, "One of the most expansive duos out there, The Mast has to be experienced live," by the BeaconPass.com. They are set to debut their performance piece Figure Eights at the Magnetic Field Theatre on Sunday, March 27, 2011. The performance is $15 and starts at 8pm.
"An extraordinarily powerful vocalist. The emotions expressed in Haale's songs are as warm and inviting as the sounds..." exclaims Jim Derogatis with the Chicago Sun Times. Through songs, electronic soundscapes, and monologues, Figure Eights explores one woman's quest to steer the cavalry of her own imagination from a preoccupation with doom and disaster, to something brighter, the golden nectar, tucked inside the crimson bell of a flower, for instance. Existence and the spectrum of possibility! Where are we putting our attention? Within a world soaked with images of violence, there still exists the hummingbird, flapping its wings 80 times per second in the shape of figure eights, hovering at the mouth of a flower to energize itself off the sweet elixir. Master attendant to and perpetuator of beauty--a creature, she decides, worth emulating. The piece is a series of snapshots, starting with her childhood spent swimming in seas of anxiety, and following her through a fascinating transformation. A celebration of alchemy and the mind's triumphant malleability.
Before they launched The Mast in 2010, Haale and Matt Kilmer were writing, performing, and touring together for 3 years under Haale's name. Starting in 2007, upon the release of the EPs, 'Paratrooper' and 'Morning,' they toured across the country, in Canada, and Europe playing such venues as the Bonnaroo festival, the David Byrne-curated series at Carnegie Hall, the Hillside Festival, Celebrate Brooklyn, Mimi Festival in France, and Preservation Hall in New Orleans. In March 2008, they released the full-length album 'No Ceiling' which the Boston Globe called 'one of the year's most memorable releases.'
The Mast will release their debut album, Wild Poppies, in the spring of 2011. Music can be heard on www.TheMastMusic.com and www.haale.com. There is also a couple of videos of the Mast recording two tracks from the upcoming album.
In Persian, Mast means "intoxicated with existence, in a blissful state of wonder and awe," which is exactly how Figure Eights will leave you feeling in this not-to-be-missed performance.
What's New - New Articles, Content and Blogs About Performing Arts
- Funny Business at The Millroom Presents Aaron Kleiber by Michael Yoder
- Daily Show Correspondent Wyatt Cenac Live in Asheville by Michael Yoder
- Charge of the Goddess Dance cycle Returns by Asheville Playback The...
- Seduction Sideshow Presents: Bedtime Stories by Seduction Sideshow
- Steve Davidowski and Friends Christmas Concert by Ellie Pinkham
- Personal Mind Mapping Workshop Launches in Asheville this March by Jennifer Losch
- Asheville Talent Slam! by Rock Eblen
- Seduction Sideshow Presents: Weapons of Mass Seduction... A Post-Ap... by Seduction Sideshow
- The Mast perform their debut piece Figure Eights at The Magnetic Fi... by Erin Scholze
- Celebrate Fall with a Masquerade in the Meadow! by Julie Tatol
- Asheville 1960s Band Recordings Saved & Re-Mastered for Up-Comi... by Dan Lewis
- Sacred Fashion Anna Gordon Chooses Blue Lace For Asheville Fashion ... by Kelly Calhoun
- The story of how an Old Boat Shed, and some Old Friends helped Insp... by Constance Vlahoulis
- Internet Privacy Is An Oxymoron: Best-Selling Tech Thriller Author ... by Donald Allen
- Professional Stand-up Comedy: Sara Schaefer co-host of MTV's late n... by Michael Yoder
- Professional Stand-up Comedy: Bengt Washburn (The Late Late Show wi... by Michael Yoder
- Professional Stand-up Comedy: Tom Simmons (Comedy Central, Showtim... by Michael Yoder
- Weaverville Art Safari Celebrates Spring with Free Studio Tours by Sherida Buchanan
- Comedy Central's Ben Kronberg at Lexington Avenue Brewery Thursday ... by Matt Ward
- Asheville Comedy: Professional Stand-up Comedy: Funny Business at t... by Michael Yoder
- Natural Body Care Products by Denise Kampouris
- Can't find housing in Buncombe County by Angela Menius
- Asheville Screen Printing's Open House - Free Drinks, Live Printing... by Asheville Screen Printing
- CranioSacral Therapy & Therapeutic MassageTestimonials by Rowan Farrell-Trombetta
- The Adventure Center of Asheville offers Discount for Locals in Jan... by Sarah Dickson
- How to Downsize from Living in a Big House to Living in a Small Apa... by Asheville Now
- The Many Benefits of Pre-Natal Massage by Tom Dunn
- Stray Boots and Asheville Local Expert Bring you a Mobile Scavenger... by Sarah Thompson
- French Broad River Fishing Report - July 9 2014 by Chris Manderson
- French Broad River Fishing Report - May 28 2014 by Chris Manderson
About the Author - Erin Scholze
Contact Erin Scholze:
Dreamspider Publicity and Events